Hi everyone! This is our blog digging deeper into the meaning of Latin Pop. I hope you enjoy the music and our opinions and facts on this music genre. Thank you to our fellow classmates and our professor Dr. Collen Kattau. Have a great summer!

Sunday, April 28, 2013

A Glimpse Into What Is Really Being Said



Latin music tends to always portray the female as more dependent on the man and of less value. The man is usually the one out making money or doing something illegal to keep his home safe and with money. Many music producers also have a stereotypical image of the Latin lover with mysterious and sexy lyrics. For example, in Enrique Iglesias song “(Tonight), I’m Loving/F*cking You,”:

“I know you want me
I made it obvious that I want you too
So put it on me
Let’s remove the space between me and you
Now rock your body (oooh)”

These lyrics are very explicit and it continues to say the things that Enrique wants to do to this girl he is speaking about in his song. He makes the girl seem important by stating sweet stuff about her but eventually the song cuts to the chase with “Tonight, I’m f****ng you." (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/enriqueiglesias/tonightimfuckinyou.html)

The stereotypes in Latin music also portray the female as having the romantic role and just waiting for her special prince charming to come rescue her as well as the female portraying as weak and needing a man to fulfill her no matter what. We see this in Jennifer Lopez’ song “You belong to me”:

“You belong to me,
tell her, tell her you were foolin,
you belong to me,
you don't even know her,
you belong to me,
tell her that I love you,
you belong to me,
you belong to me”

This song shows the female being weak and in the song knowing that her significant other has two females in his life and for him to tell her THAT he belongs to her. This portrays a female making a silly choice in sticking around to someone who doesn’t respect her but still not caring. (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/jenniferlopez/youbelongtome.html)

Overall, we believe that the Latin pop genre uses the influences of many different types of music and incorporates beautiful melodic instruments and music in the background to commercialize the artists for mainstream American pop music. Latin pop has it’s own flavor, but also incorporates different genres into its culture. The lyrics sometimes makes these artists look fragile or masochist but it depends on the artist and how they want their music to come out. Latin Pop is played worldwide because of it's flavor and sexy lyrics as well as their music videos being intense and full of naked women or women in lingerie.